The World Business Summit on Climate Change ended on a rather high note today, when members of the Copenhagen Climate Council presented the Copenhagen Call to Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen and to Yvo de Boer of the UNFCCC.
The Call identifies six steps seen as imperative to build a firm foundation for a sustainable economic future:
- Agreement on a science-based greenhouse gas stabilization path with 2020 and 2050 emissions reduction targets that will achieve it;
- Effective measurement, reporting and verification of emissions performance by business;
- Incentives for a dramatic increase in financing low emissions technologies;
- Deployment of existing low-emissions technologies and the development of new ones;
- Funds to make communities more resilient and able to adapt to the effects of climate change, and
- Means to finance forest protection.